Sexual Assault Awareness Month 2023
Every April recognizes Sexual Assault Awareness Month. This year’s theme promotes Drawing Connections stating that Prevention Demands Equity. Agencies all across the nation host events and encourage activities to spread a message of hope and healing. The National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC) provides information regarding SAAM, how to get started, and ways to support advocates, activists, and survivors. This year NSVRC want everyone to participate in the #30DaysofSAAM Instagram Challenge.
NSVRC offers a calendar of daily prompts encouraging creative ways to promote awareness, education, and connection with others. Participation guidelines are as follows:
1. Anyone can participate: individual accounts, organizational accounts, accounts created just for the contest, etc.
2. Submission posts must tag @NSVRC.
3. Posts must include #30DaysofSAAM and a hashtag identifying the prompt you’re responding to (i.e., #Day1, #Day2, etc.).
4. All types of posts are accepted including video, photos, digital artwork, photos of illustrations, collages, poems, etc.
5. Posts MUST be original content (not reposted from somewhere else).
6. Posts that feature thoughtful captions will be give extra consideration.
NSVRC offers daily prizes for participation as well as a grand prize. A winner will be chosen for each prompt daily and awarded a $25 gift card to Etsy.com-plus their submission will be featured on NSVRC’s account. There are two ways to win the grand prize. Participate every Tuesday in April to be entered once, or participate every day in April to be entered twice. The grand prize is a $250 gift card to Etsy. The Instagram Challenge calendar and all the prompts can be found on nsvrc.org/saam.
The following are Tuesdays prompts for the month of April:
1. April 4, 2023, SAAM Day of Action: Wear teal and share a group or individual photo. Be sure to cross-post on other social media pages using #SAAM.
2. April 11, 2023, Highlight a Quote from an Activist: Share a quote from an activist that stuck with you and could inspire others to be social change agents.
3. April 18, 2023, Highlight a Black-Owned Business: Uplift and show support to your favorite Black-owned business.
4. April 25, 2023, One Takeaway from SAAM 2023: Closeout SAAM by sharing something everyone can do to promote racial equity and respect in the coming year. Find a way to demonstrate, illustrate, or share this message in writing.
Crisis Services or North Alabama provides confidential, free crisis counseling to individuals who have experienced intimate partner violence or sexual assault. CSNA offers trauma-informed services for court advocacy, support groups, shelter, and many other services. If you or someone you know need assistance with recovering from intimate partner violence or sexual assault please contact and advocate today. Our local office can be reached at 256.574.5826 or at our 24/7 HELPline at 256.716.1000.