The Scottsboro Police Department and Chief Ron Latimer are pleased to announce that we are now accepting applications for our 23rd Citizen Police Academy. This program consists of nine weeks of hands-on and classroom instruction, giving citizens firsthand information about the operations of the Scottsboro Police Department and the legal system.
Topics covered include: Police Training, Roles and Responsibilities of Officers, use of firearms, criminal investigative skills, crime scene investigation, communications, narcotics investigations, and specialized units. Some of these classes are hands on and require student participation.
The Scottsboro Police Department is committed to establishing close working ties with the members of the community we serve and protect, as well as establishing lines of communication to better serve the needs of our community. This is a unique and informative way for the community to be involved in, and better understand the job we do, as well as a way for the Police Department to be involved with the community.
The academy information, requirements, and how to apply are as follows:
The academy will meet each Tuesday at 6 p.m. beginning on March 28, 2023 through May 23, 2023.
1. Must be 21 years of age or older to participate
2. Must have no criminal record other than minor traffic violations
3. Must be physically able to meet training requirements
4. Must attend 7 of the 9 classroom sessions
5. Must complete the ride along (6 hour minimum)
6. Must sign all required waivers and agreements
7. Must wear appropriate clothing
• The class will be limited to 20 participants this year.
• There is NO charge for the academy.
• Applications can be obtained online at https://scottsboropd.org or in person at the Scottsboro Police Department.
• The address for the Scottsboro Police Department is 916 S. Broad Street, Scottsboro, Ala. 35768.
• Applications must be completed and returned for approval no later than Tuesday, February 28, 2023.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Officer Wade Patterson at 256.574.4468 or 256.218.2005 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.