A regular meeting was held by the Scottsboro City Council on Monday, February 27, 2023. The following were approved my council members:• A request to rezone 0 Dover Street from P1 to R4, allowing possibilities for building/future residence options. The contractor, a Mr. Baugh, was present to state that as of now, the plan is to build 60-80 units, and the start date is six to 12 months down the road.
• The authorization to purchase leased mowers
• The approval of new lease agreements for mowers and tractors
• The allocation of ARPA funds for fire hydrant project
• At the previous work session held on Monday, February 20, 2023, Scottsboro Fire Chief Gene Necklaus presented a request for American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funds to be designated to the fire department to allow the repair, replacement of old hydrants and the installation of new hydrants in areas that are now in need of one. Necklaus has teamed up with Scottsboro Water, Sewer and Gas to complete this project, which is estimated to run $85,000 and will take place over a five to six year period. In the meantime, after the new hydrants are purchased, they will be stored by Scottsboro WSG.
Necklaus stated that once a year each hydrant in the Scottsboro city limits is tested. The results found that eight of the hydrants in use today need to be replaced, and there were some areas of Scottsboro that, because of growing neighborhoods, new builds and businesses, more hydrants are now required to meet regulations. Some of these areas, among others, are on Phillips Drive and Clemons Road. Priority is given to areas with higher population density and will also coincide with any projects WSG has in that area and when WSG will be able to assist with this project in addition to other projects already underway.
• A budget amendment of $30,000 for landfill equipment and maintenance
• Resolution 2023-02-12 for bid awarded for an HVAC unit for the fitness room at the Scottsboro Rec-Com.
• Resolution 2023-02-13 for bid awarded for the replacement of three 2008 rooftop HVAC units at the Scottsboro Police Department. Two 5-ton units and one 4-ton unit will be replaced.
• Resolution 2023-02-14 for bid awarded for the HVAC unit for the Scottsboro Public Library.
by Martha Smith